Wednesday, June 3, 2009

NOLA: Things I Dont Get, Yet

Posts with the title "NOLA: Thing I Don't Get, Yet" are my way of admitting things I dont get and hopefully, that I will eventually get said things.

2 Things I Don't Get Today:

1. Why Nobody Understands Me When I Speak Even Though I Am Capable Of Understanding Their Creole/Cajun/Louisiana Chewing Gum Slur

I have eaten a decent bit of fast food since I've been down here because I've been cleaning and looking like crap. And because I haven't really got comfortable walking around the neighborhood alone just yet, especially since my cell phone broke. At Mcdonalds, KFC, and Wendy's, the drive-thru ordering has been a complete nightmare. They don't understand me. I am not even rhyming Sprite with Diet like my normal talk. I am enunciating and doing everything Judy Woodring taught me...damnit.

2. Whether or Not I should Feel Bad for Getting Stuck in the Middle of the Road in U-Turns when I Block The StreetCar:

In New Orleans, you have to like...make U-Turns all the time. Or like turn across the street car path thing on St. Charles. (And um Canal or whatever, but I'm not on that road as much.) I know that technically I'm probably in the good and I have the rightaway and the street car must stop. Or maybe not. Like if I think I'm going to get in a streetcar's way, I may go down a couple blocks past where it is and then turn around. But in the event that I do get stuck in that little median, and there is a streetcar waiting, I just feel bad for the tourists/locals aboard. Tourists probably ooh-ing and aww-ing at houses. Locals probably being like "that damn idiot could have turned 10 cars ago."

1 comment:

  1. 1. I don't believe for a second you've stopped rhyming Sprite with diet.

    Also, people say I have an accent when I go across the bridge to Indiana. I'm sure going South it just phases into something completely different and illogical, and even though you're probably clearer than they are, it's still different, and you just can't hear it. Having others tell you you have an accent is not nearly as bad as listening to a recording of your own voice. There are few worse things. It'll get better.

    2. Can you imagine me in any kind of position where there was oncoming traffic in three dimensions--back, forward, and coming right the fuck at me? I'm sure you're handling it much better than me.

    3. When your phone works again, callllll me. After like 6 anyday. Sorry I missed your invitation for a tour. I had already hit the hay. I am insane and going to bed at like 10 because I hate my apartment and life. But I love you, Mary Elizabeth. Brighten up my life and I'll try to illuminate yours.

    LYLACEICF.
    (Love You Like a Co-Editor-in-Chief. Forever.)

    ReplyDelete