Sunday, June 28, 2009

Home Improv: Kitchen

This is the lamp and shade we rescued from my grandmothers. The BEAUTIFUL base was by itself. And this shade was in the basement rotting. The trim on it was falling off and it needed a good cleaning. This quickly became my parents' project. They replaced the trim with red duct tape -you would never be able to tell. The print behind this is one from my parents' house. All of this is sitting on a big trunk that Clara gave me. It actually says S.L.C. N.O.L.A. printed on the top. Its an old steamer trunk and opens to reveal this gorgeous green-lined interior. One day I'll re-do it, but for now, its great eye candy as a lamp-sitter-on-er.


As you can see, that's the lamp and print on top of the steamer trunk. That is the shelf across the window that my dad and I have sweat putting up. I didn't have much storage for dishes and glasses in the kitchen, so I made some. I put all my plates and glasses up there (flipped over and stacked bar-style) and I love it. That empty space under the shelf on the bar is where the Keurig goes. :)
This picture is just to show the grey wall contrasting with the fireplace in the kitchen. I have TWO exposed brick fireplaces in this place. (SOMEHOW.) I put all my copper/gold candle stick on this mantel and am going to get all matching candles. (i'm unsure of whether to do red or white.) And then of course, I have the copper swirlie-gig above there, which I can't find the votives for. It is pottery-barn reproduction via a very talented artisian friend of mine.

This is above the sink. I need to get a good picture of the entire kitchen area, note to self. This bar that the utensils are hanging on is much cooler than it looks. The edges are eagles and it is gold. It was used in my grandmother's house- I think- as a towel rack. I dig it.






1 comment:

  1. The place is looking great! And that lamp shade! I really can't wait to come see it in person now! I bet you also feel like your place has more personality now that you've made it you and yourself.

    ReplyDelete