Monday, June 8, 2009

New To Anywhere: Helpful Tip

I should probably go out and eat at like ...real restaraunts. But I'm a party of 1 and would not have a problem with sitting alone, eating, busying myself with a book/laptop/some other lonely person material. And honestly, I wouldn't worry about the girl-alone-loser-surely judgement from other tables around me. The problem is the server.

I just cannot face that server. See, I was a server and like any self-respecting food-slave, I took all my angst out on the customers I was serving by going back to all the other servers and talking shit about them. "Lady in booth 3 has a mole on her face that would warrant a moley-moley-moley mole, like austin powers style, check her out when you re-fill 5." Sigh. "Jerk in table 2 is either farting or has shit his pants." Sigh. "Girl alone over there has really weird Kentucky-sounding accent and is like...awkwardly trying to make real conversation with me as if she's been alone in her apt with her cat devoid of all social interaction for a week. Desperate, weird little girl." OMGAH, that's me.

So, I think lunch or brunch time food wouldn't be bad alone. But dinner is an absolute no-no, as of my comfort-level right. (Comfort levels are subject to change.)

So, I want to introduce my dinner time friend of the week. His name is Bertolli:

Bertolli may be a little bit cold-seeming at first. But that is just because he lives in the frozen food section at all sorts of big box stores like Target and Kroger. If you can just get under his cold packaging, Bertolli is your favorite at-home dinner date.

These things are freaking awesome for non-cooks ala myself. You can get abunch different kinds and they're all (so far as I've found) DELICIOUS. You put them in the skillet for like 10-15 minutes on medium (I do high because I have finicky stovetops.) and then cover them and voila, done. And the pictures on the package is damn near exactly what you end up with.
The one I got was like 6.00 at Target, and it makes enough for two people. Or in my case: party of one, two meals. This is mine from earlier:


Also, another helpful thing. My father always says to wash dishes as you cook and it will save time and painful scraping later. I am a little too lazy to follow this rule exactly, but I do agree that washing the big crap as you go is probably better. And now that I know I won't be able to wrangle Aaron into doing my dishes for me- I realize that I must deal with them myself. Be proud, Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment